South American Football

Qatar came from 2 0 down to draw 2 all with Paraguay. A draw was probably the fairest result.

Uruguay smashing Ecuador 3 0 at half time. Ecuador had a harsh red card VAR decision at 1 0. Uruguay have looked pretty good, all be it against 10 men.

Lots of half empty stadiums which have contributed to some of the dullness in my opinion.

A question where the answer could easily be “…because South American football”, but if this comp is on now, how is being held again next year when we’re in it?

They’re switching it to match the euro cycle, but they already had 2019 booked in.

I dont understand the thinking behind matching it to Euro cycle. The tournaments interest will suffer internationally when its competing with the Euros. Connembol had been trying to generate international interest, exposure and sponsorship for years.

Also, after next years edition, we will have had Copa Americas in 2015 Chile, 2016 USA (Centenary), 2019 Brazil and 2020 Colombia/Argentina. That’s 4 in 5 years. As somebody who loves the Copa America, I am seriously fatigued.

I think it also has something to do with how it fits in with the World Cup qualifying cycle, with a lot of teams using it as a way to get some good competitive minutes before the core of the campaign kicks off. That isn’t the case this time around as they don’t start WC qualifying until about March next year.

You’d think they’ll hold it so that it finishes right before EUROs start if they want international exposure. Starting it after just means that people will be less likely to get properly invested in teams as you’ll be fighting against the hype of Euro and trying to get people re-invested in teams.

This all looks like a terrible idea.
And this year, having it at the same time as the WWC has been awful for exposure outside of SA at least. They should go for the year before the WC. Kind of gets in the qualifiers but also means teams will play the Copa whilst in serious mode.

Also the Gold Cup in North America is going on at the same time so it’s really not getting any exposure.

It’s been a really poor tournament so far. The quality of football hasn’t been very good.

Managed to catch a few of the first round Copa Libertadores matches yesterday morning. Unbelievable atmosphere and some very entertaining football! Anyone else following this, this year?

Yeah, I’ve caught a little bit of the action. Some of the carry on by the players gets a bit grating, but there has been some entertaining games.

In the current game, #19 for the black team seems to be wearing a swimming cap. Anyone have any idea why he’d do that?

Probably trying to get away with smashing his post-match sample.

For the diving?

4 Likes

Binacional, a nine year old club from Peru with a top notch crest, currently leading Sao Paulo 2-1 with 10 minutes to go.

BinacionalLogo2019

2 Likes

Holy shit. Brazilian Police stopped the Brazil v Argentina game to detain in order to push through apparent deportation orders against 4 Argentinian players who apparently lied on their travel papers. (Emi Martinez, Lo Celso, C Romero & Buendia) :astonished:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AxsRXmCzjI

stupid dick measuring though, seeing as they were in the country for 3 days prior.

And hilarious that Brazil is trying to punish people for not quarantining, doesn’t Brazil have all the covid?

Also sounds like another fine feat of organisation by the AFA

Yeah but Bolsonaro got heaps of Hydroxychloroquine for them so it’s not an issue.

What an absolute shitshow South American football is. I couldn’t imagine this happening anywhere else in the world.

I could totally imagine WA police storming HBF to arrest Sydney players who hadn’t following McGowan’s border rules.

2 Likes