State Politics Thread (non NSW)

The problem with not doing the Gabba is that apparently it’s close to end of life anyway. If they’re not building something else or rebuilding the Gabba it’s going to be screwed in a decade in any case.

1 Like

I can live with them not spending 2.7b on it though?

As long as you’re not getting 10-15 years down the road and spending another 2-3 billion (or by then 4-5 billion) on a Gabba rebuild!

1 Like

They’re going to bail on the Olympics aren’t they? Because a bunch of self-important hicks can’t decide what to build. This will fuck into obliviion any chance of Australia getting awarded any major global sporting event for a generation.

Who the fuck would award an event to a country that turns round and hands it back a few years down the line?

I thought that was the Commonwealth Games?

I said global sporting event, not jumped up school sports carnival for the colonies that didn’t eject the English by force.

3 Likes

touche!

It’d take a big set of balls to bail on the Olympics though. I can very much see them asking the Federal Government to step in and finance part of it, or, if worst comes to worse, use some of the Sydney venues. I can’t see the Federal Government accepting that Australia just loses the Olympics of all things

There were a few events IIRC that were played outside of Sydney and NSW in 2000 IIRC. I don’t see why it’s such a big issue.

Personally, instead of a City, it should be hosted by a nation - like the World Cup.

From memory it was just football I think.

The only thing interesting about the Olympics is football & boxing. That’s worth 2.7 billion dollars.

Combine both with toddler racing, and you’ve got yourself the ultimate triathlon.

I confess, I would absolutely watch toddler boxing.

I am a terrible person.

4 Likes

The fact that our football is chronically underfunded (even more in that state) than others, and is getting sweet FA in terms of dedicated or even appropriate facilities. Hick state, hick government.

In saying that, it’s reportedly going to cost Victoria $560 million for the failed bid, and the auditor has noted that they’ve overblown exactly how much extra it would cost the Victorian Government to go ahead with the bid

1 Like

But it’s Victorians, notoriously thick.

1 Like

Maybe the AFL told them they don’t need any facility upgrades at this stage. In that one horse town, that’s the only horse with a voice.

QPS at it again.