The travelling circus: stadia discussion

Why would it have a rubbish rake?

This is why we can’t have nice things in Sydney.

What’s this group’s angle? Oppose any development in Sydney and preserve Sydney in its 1980s glory?

Probably the same group that oppose any ‘skyscrapers’ taller than 100m in Sydney. Wonder who is funding them.

I’ve always been a swinging voter and can never remember who I voted for 2 elections ago, but now I have to stop Mr Delay trying to delay or cancel all projects in Sydney.

Can a ‘refurbishment’ address the rake and roof? Or is it more akin to renovating your bathroom and kitchen, without major structural changes? I thought it was the latter.

I’m not overly fussed by the width of the concourse, food outlets, or the toilets etc. For me it’s all about the viewing angle and a roof that provides shade and rain protection for the majority of spectators.

Except that the concourse doesnt have good enough emergency access. Disabled access is terrible and theres a bunch of safety issues

Here’s what the Public Works Committee Report (link a few posting above) said about that.

1 Like

Sydney FC weren’t aware that club mode has been pulled. Will be interesting to know what happens now between the club(s) (others as well) considering it was key to them agreeing to the redevelopment.

ah NSW government.

never change

Yes I know, but the safety issues were more to do with modern standards (evacuation time etc) than an immediate safety risk to anyone who attended games at SFS.

It’s also lacking in disability access and female toilet facilities, but I don’t think I’m alone in saying that the rake of the seating and roof that offers protection from the sun and rain are the bigger issues.

Appeal hearing is today and I hope the hard demolition gets the go ahead.

NRL 2019, news: Allianz Stadium demolition to go ahead after NSW court ruling lifts injunction

ROOSTERS

The Sydney Football Stadium demolition and rebuild can go ahead.Source: News Corp Australia

The demolition of Sydney’s Allianz Stadium can begin immediately after a judge dismissed an application to extend a court order preventing major works. The temporary injunction - put in place in February to allow a challenge to the $730 million project in the Land and Environment Court - was due to expire at 5pm on Friday.

Those behind the failed challenge applied to have it extended until Monday, when they head to the Court of Appeal in another attempt to stop the controversial project.

But Justice Nicola Pain on Friday dismissed the application in the Land and Environment Court.

The decision means major demolition work is able to begin immediately.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/roosters/nrl-2019-news-allianz-stadium-demolition-to-go-ahead-after-nsw-court-ruling-lifts-injunction/news-story/57573678fdf650077197b2e728cf4594

You also get a fantastic Spectators Bridge across Anzac Parade. Don’t forget that.

They’re all members of the Greens (Local Democracy Matters). I’ve written to them numerous times asking whether they have consulted with users and whether they have an alternative that meets the needs of users and they are completely uninterested. It’s nothing but cheap political point-scoring.

I’ve also written to NSW ALP, David Shoebridge and Peter Fitzsimons and heard nothing back from any of them.

I hate to suggest things that would require work from others, but I think an SFS Users Alliance of support groups would get a ton of media right now and space to inject some actual fact into the debate.

Apparently 82% oppose the rebuild, but that’s because the “perfectly good stadium” “schools not stadiums” line is being run almost exclusively in the media.

I desperately hope the club has initiated negotiations with the NSW ALP already to get a plan in place for if they win the election. It could potentially go well for us if they are keen to screw the Trust and we go to them with our preferred, cheaper model. Daley could then claim win-win for delivering a better stadium for less money.

I asked this before and I’ll ask it again: why would we assume all users have a consistent view on both the stadium destruction and also what should replace it? I think this thread proves there’s a very wide range of views.

And I’ll reply as I did before… there would be enough agreement for it to be useful. And even where there isn’t agreement, it would still be useful to have the issues that concern users in the debate. It’s deplorable how uninformed the debate is. As it is it’s limited to there may or may not be sprinklers that may or may not have been ripped out by the Trust, the beer queues are too long and there’s not enough dunnies.

But 12-24 months later.
Any change is going to cause a big delay.
The time to argue about the size of the replacement was 12-18 months ago. Not now.
And any delay is not good for SFC.

Saw the protestors on the news last night. Maybe 30 max. More Greens banners than anything else.
Suspect most of them had never been inside the stadium.

Funniest was a banner saying “save our stadium”. As if anyone could have any attachment to that low rake, limited roof cover stadium

Maybe we should just tell the greens that thanks to all the new lighting, the new stadium will have half the power consumption of the old.

All political points scoring.
The stadium was built at the same time as Parramatta Stadium, and yet not a peep about demolishing it and building WSS

1 Like

Bizarre that the club doesn’t actually read the public docs.

Personally don’t think vanity mode is that important. Pretty obvious what would be behind the screen - and I can only expect after a few years the fabric looks like crap and the mechanism breaks.

Better way to deal with small crowds.
Massive SFC banner over the upper tier - as a few of the NRL teams do at ANZ.

Close half the ground. You can only sit in the Cove or on one side (and make sure that the seating side is opposite the tv cameras). And encourage people to get to the games - free tickets for kids involved in junior leagues (many will then bring a parent or two)

While playing in a English 15k seater would be great, SFC should be aiming higher. From finals we’ve proved that we can almost fill a 45k stadium.

A banner over the seats does nothing for acoustics, a curtain made of sound-reflective material and hung off specific mounts in the roof which create an angle that keeps the sound inside the stadium does.

1 Like

So how did that work out for Clive Palmer? Not so great.

The club has been doing stuff like this for years. Surely if there was a magic way of getting more people to the games, it would be in place now.

Also, point to note that atmosphere brings people to games. In the case of the stadium, it’s a paradox. The higher the fan to empty seat ratio, the better the atmosphere and the more likely people want to come week-in, week-out. You’ll get more fans and over time the average attendance increases. If you have a much lower ratio, the atmosphere is crap and people are less inclined to go which leads to less average attendance.

Think about why people hate the thought of us playing at ANZ. Even the derby with 60k people felt like the stadium was half empty and the atmosphere suffered.

2 Likes

It was supposed to be LED, yeah?

We’re 45 weeks down since our last game there and the bun fight continues. When we win the GF this year I say we take a leaf out of the ‘81 Eels book and assist with the demolition ourselves.

3 Likes