The travelling circus: stadia discussion

I’ve heard two reports, one was around $45m and the other around $70m.

Would love to see what is still included in the complete stadium plan, if I recall there was a gym and swimming pool for SCG trust members to use plus some other lavish luxuries that would add up pretty quickly. If they’re still included but the curtain has bee scrapped then the priorities are way out of whack.

More importantly, is there any word on pourage rights?

All the Kogarah chat reminded me that I’d rather gargle my own piss than drink Great Northern again.

3 Likes

Great Northern is a war crime.

5 Likes

At least in the New Cove Heights we have the option of Wild Yak/Stella/Crown or VB.

2 Likes

The mini-bar at the far end of the stand only opened at 5.45pm… I was thirsty watching the W-League, so I walked down to the little shed bar…only Great Northern there… that’s the last time I’ll do that - will just have to do the long walk to the main bar next time

2 Likes

Unless you’ve got a billionaire owner willing to drop big $s, the economics of your own stadium just can’t work in the Aussie market.

Even with something as simple as Bankwest you are looking at $10,000 a seat.
Say a stand lasts 30 years, 13 games a year…
That’s $25 a game, just to pay the principal, before any operating costs and interest, if you fill every seat.

So you’d be talking minimum ticket prices of $50 a seat. And at those prices I think the crowds would drop substantially.

My post on r/a-league

‘Dr Lee told the Herald the disagreement between the tenants over the curtain was just “one of the issues” the government needed to “work through” before the stadium was built.’

What the fuck, aren’t these the issues that should have been finalised before they knocked the fucker down?

In my synic mind, it basically reads to me as if the NSW Gov has received a nudge from a mate that they could exploit the stadium situation for profit, lied and mislead the Tennant’s and fans into supporting it, pumped the budget as high as they could get away with, then dropped the design back to only a slight improvement on the old ground and screw over everyone involved except the trustees and construction firms.

EDIT for clarity

1 Like

So we are obliged to play four seasons at new SFS but the club is playing hard ball over the curtain and threatening to move games after that:

Now on the positives, that safe standing area sounds huge.

The curtain would be great, and the safe standing sounds brilliant. But I still think they are going to butcher the rake and the roof in the rebuild. Betting both won’t be anywhere near as good as they could be, maybe not even noticeably better than the old stadium.

Hope I’m wrong though.

The curtain really means nothing. Just make sure you can close off the top tiers and force everyone into their lower bowl

3 Likes

Is 2500 capacity too big for safe standing zone? Will the cove fill it?

2500 safe standing makes me less gutted about the curtain, what an atmosphere that can provide with the right acoustics.

How did you get a figure ~$10k per seat for BankWest? (I’m genuinely curious)

I actually have no idea how stadiums operate, but I would have assumed that to recoup the build cost, a stadium owner has three main sources of income:

1. Rent from regular tenants. For BankWest, this would be WSW, Eels etc.; for the new SFS its SFC, Roosters, Warratahs etc.; plus one-off events (concerts etc.).
  2. Food/drink vendors. I’m not sure if they pay the stadium rent/fees to set up shop, or whether the stadium takes a cut of the food/drink revenue, or both?
  3. Ticket sales. Again, I’m not sure if the stadium gets a cut of ticket sales from an event, or whether that is factored into the $$$ that the tenant/event holder pays the stadium up front to host the event?

On top of that, I’m not sure whether marquee stadiums like ANZ or SFS get some form of ongoing payment from the government for their “tourism value”, or some bullshit like that?

Anyway, all that is to say: I wouldn’t have thought you could simply calculate a “minimum ticket price per seat” over the projected life of the stadium as a way of recovering build costs; as that:

a) ignores other sources of income, and
b) assumes that the stadium owner gets to keep 100% of ticket sales

But as I say, I have no clue on the business model that stadiums operate under; so I could totally wrong here. Would love for someone to explain stadium economics in layman’s terms.

I’m assuming it’s just $360m (cost of stadium build) divided by 30k (number of seats). That works out as $12k per seat.

Don’t forget that you also need to buy land first - although a way around that is to try and sign a 99 year lease with the government instead.

Yeah, that’s what I thought…but also I understood the price to be US$360m, so more like A$500m?

I’m positive it’s AUD not USD.

Wikipedia must have it wrong then…

Yeah, I’m sure it has just defaulted to USD. All the articles about the stadium refer to it costing either $300m or $360m and as they’re all from Australian sources, they’d be in AUD.

1 Like

The government is paying for it anyway so it really doesn’t matter if they recoup their costs or not. Most public infrastructure doesn’t (I assume)

There’s also value to be earned from naming rights, ANZ, BankWest, Alliance,etc.

But all that income in our case would be going to the SCG trust.