The travelling circus: stadia discussion

On the eastern side of Allianz there was a bar situated right between the entrance and exit of the men’s toilet that only served VB. Coincidence? I think not . Some creative plumbing in place I reckon.

2 Likes

You’d hope there is a payback combining direct financial return, indirect economic benefit and “social good”. I’ve been doing some consulting on a government project and they love detailed financial models.

Even if the LED curtain wasn’t LED, i.e. just a a big sail kind of thing, it would still be ideal. I always look at this picture and think how good it is to shift the focus to the lower tiers. Also makes the stadium look more rectangular (as opposed to the wave style roof line).

1 Like

Either way everyone knows what’s behind it.
Personally I’d be happy with what the NRL does at ANZ, but maybe fully cover the seats.

CD766B58-5056-BD57-978FF95896629399

Get the crowd together… and on really quiet nights only sell seats on the side opposite to the camera.

Here’s an idea, why not build a 25,000 seat stadium just like every tenant who will be using the stadium wants. It would be about half the price of what the SCCT wants. If you want to spend extra, put a roof on it and climate control.

5 Likes

Still think it would make a massive difference. I’ve been to a rabbitohs game at ANZ and it the does sweet FA. Plus, you can’t sell only half the stadium (Clive Palmer style) because you have members who have paid for a whole season to sit in a particular seat. When they do close off half the stadium, they need to close the western stand where the cameras are, which also has the most premium seats (not in the sun, near the players’ tunnel etc.) so you would be fucking over your highest paying members.

Agree with the previous posts that Kogarah can’t be a long term option, but holy shit just realised we won every single HAL game there in 2019.

The last time we didn’t win was when Krishna and the Nux destroyed us 3-1, starting 29/12/18 through to now we’ve won 11/11.

1 Like

Good point on the sun and players tunnels and benches.

From what I understand one big change in the new design is the SCGT members will have some lower deck seats, presumably central in the western stand.

Heard from a mate in construction that LendLease was asking for an increase much higher (ie multiples) than the increase agreed, so it’s difficult to say this contract was given to ‘Mates’ - just any construction in Aus is horrendously expensive

How do the seat covers have the same acoustic properties as a big heavy curtain angled back into the stadium?

1 Like

Was never sold on the acoustics…

I’d think the curtain would reflect more noise out of the stadium, or at best across.
With a vacant upper deck some probably gets reflected back off the roof, seats and roof

I asked Scott Barlow at the fan forum and he confirmed that all SCGT trust members would be accommodated in the lower tiers so that the upper tier can be completely closed off when required.

SCG and SFS are membership-based venues - that’s the difference.

Build a 25k facility and they’ll end up limiting the number of joe bloes who can attend the venue

1 Like

There was talk of SCGT members being able to free up their seats (like SFC members can now do). Hopefully that will help a little.

Did you ever go there for International? It’s horrendous sitting out there in a Sydney January. No one would go a second time and it showed.

Anyway, the curtain for me is one of the lowest priorities. Getting the sight lines and rake right, and decent roof coverage is at the top of the list. If they fuck that up, then everything else is pointless and it’ll be no improvement on the original facility.

I think the extra build cost is going to bells and whistles rather than the basics. There’s nothing special at all about the concourse area and concession/amenities at WSS. There’s even low level wall enclosing the venue. The structure you see from the outside on the eastern, southern and northern sides are actually the grandstand skeleton. The joint is bare bones.

If the new Moore Park venue is built with slabs of concrete enclosing the joint like the old one, then I will see where the money has gone.

1 Like

Was a Silvas man, but I’ve now defected to Oricco in Dulwich Hill for the past couple of years. It’s Lebanese instead of Portuguese, but they’re better than both the Petersham mobs. They’ve taken us all for granted.

2 Likes

There’s been too much talk. All we have so far is a pile of dirt

So I’m neither an acoustic nor material expert but I would think (a) any angle which would allow any meaningful amount of crowd-generated noise to reflect *out" of the ground would require a remarkably tall top tier and a roof which covers very little of the lower bowl - I would seriously hope that’s not the case (b) sound decays in an inversed square function and an extra say 10-30m between the curtain and roof, and then back, would add a significant decay compared to the overall travelled distance of any reflected sound (c) a single flat surface pointed back into the ground would surely be much better acoustically than chairs and beams and other miscellaneous objects creating all sorts of angles and causing sound to reflect a number of times (losing energy absorbed into each surface) before coming back out.

I’d expect the bigger concern would be whether the material actually reflects sound (vs absorbing or letting it through).

But anecdotally, my impression of the feedback from stadiums overseas which have done this is that it does make a positive difference.

Actually having done a drawing of a roof that extends to the edge of the pitch (which will be a massive improvement both to amenity and sound), and a curtain to the edge of an upper deck it’s probably more across with the curtain.

Correct.

Source: worked in noise consulting for 2 years.

I have been an acoustic consultant for 9 years, but have not worked on any stadium projects. I’ve mostly worked on infrastructure and commercial/residential development.

From my understanding, acoustics are very rarely considered as part of stadium design. Good or bad acoustics in a stadium are typically a result of other design factors. This includes big stadiums in Europe and America. I’ve not seen a single stadium project consider acoustics in my time in either Sydney or New York, other than potential noise impacts to the community.

However, multi purpose indoor arenas which typically host sporting and concert events are carefully designed for acoustics, but it is typically to absorb sounds rather than amplify. My company current company worked on the Barclays center in Brooklyn and I recently attended my first concert there (Tool). The sound was superb and very evenly distributed.

Denmil is correct though, the ability of the curtain/drapes to reflect sound rather than absorb will be the determining point. The material would need to be smooth and contain sufficient density to reflect it out.

My hunch is that the greatest acoustic impact that the curtains/drapes will provide is that it will compact the crowd into the lower bowl.

4 Likes