Western United Thread

A bit like the debate over whether goal keepers should wear bright colours or blend in more. Some research suggests that strikers subconsciously aim for goal keepers in bright colours. The counter argument is that if they can easily see the keeper then they know where to slot the ball (i.e. where the keeper isn’t).

Unfortunately for North Queensland Fury it didn’t exactly work out.

1 Like

Made me think of this https://twitter.com/i/status/811877988765749248

3 Likes

There may be other papers but there is research that claims red wins more often…

http://community.dur.ac.uk/red.advantage/index.html/wordpress/research/

…but that might be rubbish.

Good to see Renato Sanches isn’t alone!

2 Likes

22 but onto his third A-League club. I’m so glad the new clubs are here to stop the merry go round.

I dont get that argument for the Risdon and Aspro signings. A team of NPL/ aussies in lower leagues abroad isnt exactly going to be competitive. The fact that theres another team means theres 20 or so more spots for Aussies. Mariners might replace Aspro with say someone from the NPL which still gives new opportunity.

Also the idea that a merry go round is an A-League thing only is so wrong. Keogh played for 7 different championship teams including a spell of four different championship sides in four seasons.

Completely agree with you, but some people were acting like expansion will fix the merry go round. I struggle to believe that.

I know he’s only been back from injury for 2 months, but I’ve always rated him and have already seen enough from Aspro to know he warrants a decent extension from CCM.

After snoozing and losing Wales & Millar you think they’d finally learn their lesson, especially with a new team coming in to hoover up any off-contract players. No excuses, they need to bin whoever is overseeing their recruitment & retention.

Mariners’ football director is too busy being assistant coach at Man. U.

I am sure he will fix things when he returns for his next holiday.

Or do you mean when he finally figures out where CMM play?

That was actually Harry Rednapp (who made the South Coast Mariners faux pas). Mike Phelan worked within the Mariners setup (in Australia), so he at least knows where the club is based :wink:

Georgievski and Pain now linked

Who is building this club… the assistant coaches?? Got to be Rudan behind the scenes really…

Seems like they are spending all the $$ upfront on name / first 11 players. The real interest for me will come with the squad fillers…

I imagine its Horvat and the assistants with probably some input from Rudan. Managers arent always the only ones signing players and theyre probably thinking if they wait for end of season many targets will have resigned.

Looking at who theyve been linked to/signed

???
Risdon–???-???-Georgievski
Paine-Kone-Pasquali-???
???-???

I’m fairly sure Lou Sticca is heavily involved in creating them from scratch, just as he was with us season 1.

Yeah thats a fair point. Sticca, Horvart, Hutchinson and Anasiadis

I realise this, it is just that they are missing out on a great opportunity to have a squad 100% built by the manager - this is a very rare thing for a club to be able to do